Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rising Entomologist?


For whatever reason (and it's certainly not genetic) my son LOVES bugs! This evening he saw me giving a particularly nasty look to a disgusting earwig that was making itself at home on my wall. He calmly said "Mom, ya just gotta stop killing bugs. Let me take care of it. If you see a spider or an earwig, just call me." I laughed a little in spite of the fact that he was completely serious and said "Well, okay, you can start with this one." And with that, he climbed up on the step stool, gently knocked it to the ground, picked it up and took it outside. He later informed that when we are nice to bugs, they will be nice to us and when we try to hurt bugs, they will hurt us. I wasn't sure how to argue with that logic so I just nodded my head and thanked him for "taking care" of the offending earwig situation.

3 comments:

mulege said...

Eating bugs is not genetically based behavior. Interest in bugs and all other forms of life is. E. O. Wilson referred to that as "Biophilia". Eating bugs is a condition related to "luposlipophobia", which is the fear of being chased around the kitchen table by wolves on a freshly waxed floor.

Smith Clan said...

Wendy,
I just raided your blog. It was great to see pictures of your family (your Mom & Molly included). Your kids are darling, and I'm wondering if you had blond curly hair when you were your daughter's age. So sweet. It's nice to catch up with you that way. I don't live too far away from you since I've been living in Columbia, SC for the last 6 years. Take care. It was great seeing some pictures.
Hannah

Unknown said...

well, i am happy to let bugs be bugs and live their short little lives--as long as it is not done in MY HOUSE!! So, i tell the boys, if it came in my house it dies :)! It's kinda cute that he wants to save them. . .