Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Advice-FLOSS!!


Here's me lookin "Saweet" in the dentist chair awaiting a root canal. Yes, that's right, I am 31 and I've already had 2 root canals. In a way you could say I am very fortunate in this situation seeing how my brother -in -law Jason is my dentist. It saves us some money and I can always tease him in front of the staff if he needs it:) You know my mouth contains the very first cavity he ever filled??!! Yes, while he was in dental school he filled a cavity in my back right molar. It was quite an event considering he was one of the first in his class to do one. Several of his fellow students came over to ohh and ahh over "Campbells Class 2". Whatever that means, something very cool in the world of dentistry I guess. But I don't really care I just like to pretend I'm not there. Which is why through all of these dental experiences I've learned to be very grateful for one thing in particular- my ipod. I just lay back, turn the volume up as high as it will go, close my eyes and find a happy place. At one point during the procedure I honestly and truly thought I was going to pass out. I started to get light headed and very dizzy. I said to myself, "at least you're already lying down, even if I do lose consciousness no one will notice". Thankfully Dave Matthews kept me just enough above the surface to be relaxed but almost entirely unaware of what was going on.
Thanks Jason and his assistant Majorie! As much as I don't like going to the dentist I really appreciate the work you did for me!!

4 comments:

Cecily said...

Wendy, you just made my day. I will be going in for yet another root canal this week, and I thought I was the only one . . . (Not really, but you get what I mean.) I hope you are recovering well and able to eat everything you want.

molly said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! People rarely say anything nice about going to the dentist (even though the dentist is the person that fixes the damage the patient did to themselves...)Hurray for a postive root canal experience! And hurray for another reason to love Dave Mathews.

Amy M said...

I don't know of many people who have a picture of themselves sitting in the dentist's chair. Is this another perk of going to your brother-in-law? Does he have a cork board full of "satisfied customers" like they do at the OB?

Seriously, though, I'm glad you survived. You're certainly not the only one with dental problems. Ironically enough, years of brushing too hard (because I didn't want cavities) has left me with receded gums. Also bad.

mulege said...

3 root canals, 5 crowns, it must be genetic (or Dr. Pepper)