Friday, May 23, 2008

All Good Things Must Come to an End


as you can see, Ryan was very enthusiastic about posing for these pictures

The day I have been dreading since the fall of 2005 has come and gone. I knew I couldn't write about right away because it was just too close to the surface. Am I over the top dramatic-yes! Am I way too sentimental for my own good-yes! But I just can't help it. For the past 3 years Ryan Hinckley has been attending this wonderful, perfect little preschool, Decatur First United Methodist Weekday Children's Ministry, and Wednesday was his last day,FOREVER!! He has graduated to the next phase of his life, Kindergarten. I wish I could express what a truly wonderful experience we've had at this little school. It is just a happy place. And the joy that spills out from that building cannot be faked. I remember before I was even pregnant with Ryan driving by it one day when the kids were being dismissed and thinking "Well there's a happy little school, with happy little children." So years later when I was in the market for a preschool I looked them up, took a tour and fell in love . The playground is top notch and the rainy day room really won me over. Don't we all need a "rainy day room" to cheer us up! And of course the teachers and staff were great. Ryan knew he safe there and he knew he was loved. What parent could ask for more? One day last week when I was picking him up after school in the car pool line Green Day came on the radio singing "I hope you had the time of your life..." I watched him walk down the front steps and it was as if a slide show of all the past years of watching him walk down those steps flashed before me. I lost it!! And it was so embarrassing earlier this week when I took banana bread to some of his favorite teachers. I would hand them the bread, start to say thank you , start crying instead, then the teacher would give me a hug and reassure me of the year to come. This happened 4 separate times! I kid you not! Ryan however seems completely unphased by all of this . I asked him if was sad to leave his school and he said "No I just want to watch Curious George." Okay, I get it, change is harder on the parents. Especially sentimental saps like me.

2 comments:

Carolyn Hansen said...

You are too cute for words. I too am one of those sentimental saps (and cried as I said goodbye to my kids' teachers today).

Amy M said...

It really is a great place--the best Bible school ever!

When Dave told me about picking Mary up from school right before we moved (giant group hug from her classmates, kind words from the teacher, etc), I was so glad that he'd gone and not me--I surely would've blubbered all over the teacher.