Thursday, May 22, 2008

Let There Be Light


The first lightning bug of the season has arrived!!(whoever calls them fireflies out there no longer has permission to read my blog) I spotted him not but 2hrs ago on evening stroll with my mom. We stopped immediately and paid homage to the tiny, radiant creature of the night... May your beautiful green glow give forth joy to all who walk amongst you...
Seriously, this is how I know I am meant to live east of the Mississippi-because life w/out lightning bugs is well, beyond words. I've done my time out west. And I do LOVE California. But a front yard empty of the luminous glow of a lightning bug on a dark summer night... it is unthinkable!
on a side note-I do NOT believe in putting lightning bugs in jar. They should be free to fly and fill the night sky for all to admire. But this was the best picture I could find online.

2 comments:

brookeanne said...

I'm so jealous. It's been a long time since I've seen any lighting bugs.

Maursupial said...

I must say that one of my favorite things about living on the east coast was lightning bugs on summer nights. Then, one summer my sister and I went to Nauvoo and she was transfixed by them, forcing me to pull our car over to the side of the road so that she could look at them up close. Of course in NYC they call them fireflies, but I wouldn't think of calling them that. I like reading your blog too much!