Sunday, April 6, 2008

Missed Out (oh, and I am not a stalker)



I started BYU as a freshmen the summer of 95(good times). That summer I found out that Nancy Griffith, one of my favorite folk singers, was playing at a cafe type venue just down the street from where I lived at Heritage Halls. Awesome right? WRONG!! Because I found out about it 2 days AFTER the fact. And I have regretted not hearing her sing "Love at the Five and Dime" in a close personal setting ever since. Now, to be honest, I don't really think much about that except every now and again I am painfully reminded of it. Like yesterday for example, when I found out that Mo Willems, one of my favorite childrens book authors, was at a local book store in Downtown Decatur, just a stones throw from my son's school. He was here Thursday. I found out about it Saturday- 2 days AFTER the fact! What??!! I missed Nancy Griffith and now Mo Willems??!! How is this to be born??!! Ryan Hinckley and I would have loved the chance to meet and him and scare the tuna salad out of him. And he would have been scared, oh yes he would have been scared!! I guess some people have all the luck of getting to meet and hang with celebrities and some of us don't. Like my gal Mandy, who actually got to sit next to Christian Bale, yes Christian Bale on a ride at Disney World. She also got to meet Tom Cruise at an Ellen Show taping. Although, now that I think about it, I did get to meet that Soap actress from Days of Our Lives at Medieval times in California. I was 10. She signed my drink napkin. I had it for years...
Mo Willems please come back to Georgia! Nancy this invitations includes you too. Come sing to me, come scare the tuna salad out of me, come ease my pain, come be my friend... Please!!!!

6 comments:

user said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
user said...

I feel your pain! I will forever regret choosing to see Weezer in SLC instead of John Denver...he was killed just a couple of months later. I still like Weezer, but I will never hear John Denver sing "Country Roads" live. ~sigh~

On another note: Christian Bale??? I've been crushing on him since Empire of the Sun! ooooooh, some girls have all the luck!

Wendy Niceler said...

I know Christian Bale-he is so beautiful...Empire of the Sun, I actually bought the soundtrack to that movie...

molly said...

Melis, I feel the same way about that Weezer/John Denver choice. What were we thinking? Wendy, I must confess...I have never read any of those books to my children. BUT, after this post and your high praise of the author I am going to do it!

molly said...

I'm also going to download some Nancy Griffith.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Oh, I wished I hadn't told you about Mo Willems! Sorry you missed it. I'll keep my ear out for other celebs and your number on speed dial for when I uncover one.